What is this thing and what happened to all the artists?
Well, Chris decided that he needed a mic preamp and DI that could go from pristine clarity all the way to absolute raging distortion in a single unit that screams outrageous. As it turns out, this goal has been accomplished and demanded a name and faceplate as outrageous as the actual circuit design!
Based on the Warhol topology, but with double the gain stages, the Nuclear Unicorn has the ability to be used as a rich and responsive preamp on any source, with any mic. Interestingly enough, as a result of the user having control over the gain on all four stages, the tonal response of the mic or DI source can be changed a good deal based upon how each gain level is set. As well, all coloring options on the NU are available at all times, further making for an amazing array of options.
But What Do The Names Mean?
- PAD - This switch enables the user to lower the volume of the source feeding the NU
- Megaton Increase - This switch is a type of top boost in that it gives a large boost to the highs and high mids when needed. This especially helpful for dark mics and instruments
- Shock Wave - With this much gain you always need a low cut control. This knob gives the ability to drop the low end from the beginning of the circuit in order to retain clarity, especially when driven into heavy distortion
- Rainbow Crush - Ever wanted to use a diode based distortion but only on the highs and high mids? This switch is for you! Crunch with punchy bass!
- Mass Destruction - This is the first gain stage control and will drive the rest of the entire circuit
- Tactical Mode and Enhanced Tactical Mode - These switches are there to cut the highs (think close to Air Band) and are primarily useful when using a lot of distortion. They can help keep the signal from breaking down into oscillation when needed or desired.
- More Mass Destruction - This controls the second gain stage
- Sum of All Fears - This knob controls the third gain stage
- Fallout - Finally you have the control for the final gain stage that also acts as the Trim control
- Gamma Burst - This switch engages a unique mid cut circuit driven by a transformer and variable capacitor bypass. When you think of this switch imagine taking a source like a bass guitar and making it sound really, really mean.
- Unicorn Sparkle - This is the knob that allows you to raise or lower the highs in the mid cut circuit. It can make the signal really dark or quite bright when desired but is only available when Gamma Burst is engaged
- 48v - Phantom power
The sheer power and versatility of this unit is unmatched by anything on the market today and will bring even the most boring of sources to life with minimal effort. From keyboards to bass guitars, to drums, to vocals, the Nuclear Unicorn is an absolute tonal standout!
- DI Input
- 48v Phantom Power Switch
- XLR In and Out
- Unbalanced DI Out
- Low Cut Knob
- Four Gain Stages With Controls For Each
- High Cut Switches
- Top Boost Switch
- Diode Distortion Switch
- Transformer Mid Cut Circuit Switch With Tone Knob
- Transformers in and out
- All Hand-Wired, construction
- Rugged, etched metal faceplate
Hendyamps Gear can be purchased in a variety of ways including Paypal, Venmo, Crypto, Check, and Credit Card For Paypal purchases please see below.
THERE IS A 3% DISCOUNT OFFERED ON CRYPTO BASED PURCHASES
For any other payment options please contact us
Full demo of a variety of sources and full walkthrough
All gear is custom built to order and as such all sales are final
Copyright © 2022 - All Rights Reserved.